Subpart 232.70 - ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION AND PROCESSING OF PAYMENT REQUESTS AND RECEIVING REPORTS
232.7000 Scope of subpart.
This subpart prescribes policies and procedures for submitting and processing payment requests in electronic form to comply with 10 U.S.C. 4601.
As used in this subpart—
“Electronic form” means any automated system that transmits information electronically from the initiating system to affected systems.
“Payment request” means any request for contract financing payment or invoice payment submitted by the contractor under a contract or task or delivery order.
“Receiving report” means the data prepared in the manner and to the extent required by Appendix F, Material Inspection and Receiving Report, of the DFARS.
(a) Payment requests and receiving reports are required to be submitted in electronic form, except for—
(1) Classified contracts or purchases when electronic submission and processing of payment requests and receiving reports could compromise the safeguarding of classified information or national security;
(2) Cases in which contractor submission of electronic payment requests and receiving reports is not feasible (e.g., when contract performance is in an environment where internet connectivity is not available);
(3) Cases in which DoD is unable to receive payment requests or provide acceptance in electronic form;
(4) Cases in which the contractor has requested permission in writing to submit payment requests and receiving reports by nonelectronic means, and the contracting officer has provided instructions for a temporary alternative method of submission of payment requests and receiving reports in the contract administration data section of the contract or task or delivery order (e.g., section G, an addendum to FAR 52.212-4, or applicable clause); and
(5) When the Governmentwide commercial purchase card is used as the method of payment, in which case only submission of the receiving report in electronic form is required.
(b)(1) The only acceptable electronic form for submission of payment requests and receiving reports is Wide Area WorkFlow (WAWF) (https://wawf.eb.mil/), except as follows:
(i) For payment of commercial transportation services provided under a Government rate tender, contract, or task or delivery order for transportation services, the use of a DoD-approved electronic third party payment system or other exempted vendor payment/invoicing system (e.g., PowerTrack, Transportation Financial Management System, and Cargo and Billing System) is permitted.
(ii) For submitting and processing payment requests and receiving reports for contracts or task or delivery orders for rendered health care services, the use of TRICARE Encounter Data System as the electronic form is permitted.
(2) Facsimile, email, and scanned documents are not acceptable electronic forms of payment requests or receiving reports.
(a) DoD officials receiving payment requests in electronic form shall process the payment requests in electronic form. The WAWF system provides the method to electronically process payment requests and receiving reports.
(1) Documents necessary for payment, such as receiving reports, invoice approvals, contracts, contract modifications, and required certifications, shall also be processed in electronic form.
(2) Scanned documents and other commonly used file formats are only acceptable for processing supporting documentation.
(b) If one of the exceptions to submission in electronic form at 232.7002 (a) applies, the contracting officer shall—
(1) Consult the payment office and the contract administration office regarding the alternative method to be used for submission of payment requests or receiving reports (e.g., facsimile or conventional mail); and
(2) Provide procedures for invoicing in the contract administration data section of the contract or task or delivery order (e.g., section G, an addendum to FAR 52.212-4, or applicable clause) for submission of invoices by nonelectronic means. If submission of invoices by nonelectronic means is temporary, the procedures should specify the time period for which they apply.
232.7004 Contract clauses.
(a) Unless an exception to submission in electronic form at 232.7002 (a) applies and instructions for invoices are contained in the contract administration data section of the contract, task orders, or delivery order, use the clause at 252.232-7003, Electronic Submission of Payment Requests and Receiving Reports, in solicitations and contracts, including solicitations and contracts using FAR part 12 procedures for the acquisition of commercial products and commercial services.
(b) Use the clause at 252.232-7006, Wide Area WorkFlow Payment Instructions, in solicitations and contracts, task orders, or delivery orders, including solicitations and contracts using FAR part 12 procedures for the acquisition of commercial products and commercial services, when 252.232-7003 is used and none of the exceptions at232.7002(b)(1) apply. See PGI 232.7004 for instructions on completing the clause.